[TVB-860] Schedules Direct channel numbers

For talk and Help about everything concerning TV-Browser.
Antworten
jdonato

[TVB-860] Schedules Direct channel numbers

Beitrag von jdonato »

Hi
Are there any plans to update the Schedules Direct plug in, so that the downloaded data show the channel numbers in TV-Browser? I know the data is there in the download, and I know this has been mentioned before in the forums, but I really miss the channel numbers...

If only I knew a little bit more, I would do it...
bodo
Site Admin
Re: [TVB-860] Schedules Direct channel numbers

Beitrag von bodo »

This should be easy to implement. But I need a few informations first:

1. Do you mean the fccChannelNumber ? I hope that is the correct field in the xml data from schedules direct.
2. We don't have a field for channel number, but we could add the number to the channel name. We need to know what a schedules direct user would expect. Would [Number]. [Channelname] okay? E.g. "1. ABC"
jdonato

Beitrag von jdonato »

Hi bodo

In response to 1:
As far as I can see, the channel number is expressed in Schedules Direct Data as "channel" (in the lineup--map section of the data), but you need to get "station id" first. Looking at my data, fccChannelNumber only applies to over-the-air (OTA) channels. Let's follow two channels, WAPADT and HBO. For example, WAPADT, an OTA channel:

<station id='63389'>
<callSign>WAPADT</callSign>
<name>WAPADT (WAPA-DT)</name>
<fccChannelNumber>27</fccChannelNumber>
<affiliate>Independent</affiliate>
</station>

And HBO, a not OTA channel (from Dish Network):

<station id='10240'>
<callSign>HBO</callSign>
<name>Home Box Office</name>
<affiliate>PAY</affiliate>
</station>

So fccChannelNumber won't help, because it refers only to OTA channels.

To correctly select the channel number, the data that needs to be retrieved first is "station id". This is so, because later we will find this code in the xml (in the lineup section):

<map station='63389' channel='4' channelMinor='1'/>

This will be channel "4.1" (you need to add the dot between "channel" and "channelMinor" combined)

And:

<map station='10240' channel='300' from='2004-08-02'/>

This will be channel "300"

So, "station id" 63389 will lead us to "channel" 4.1, and "station id" 10240 will lead us to "channel" 300, those are the real channel numbers (4.1, 300)

About number 2:
I am only one user, but if you ask me, I would prefer [number] [Channelname]. No dots, because this will confuse users, since the digital over-the-air channels have sub-channels (as in 4.1, 4.2, that is, channel 4 have two channels, the main channel 4.1, and another, 4.2, which could be a 24-hour weather station, sports, etc.).

Example, combining what we have now with the channel number:

"4.1 WAPADT (WAPA-DT)"

"300 Home Box Office"

Sorry for the long-winded explanation. I also think this should be easy to implement for the plugin author.

Thanks for such a great application.
jdonato

Beitrag von jdonato »

Hi

Any news on this subject?
bodo
Site Admin

Beitrag von bodo »

Sadly not. The Ticket is still open. We don't have much time to develop TV-Browser lately :( .
jdonato

Beitrag von jdonato »

bodo hat geschrieben:Sadly not. The Ticket is still open. We don't have much time to develop TV-Browser lately :( .
Thanks for letting us know the status.
Antworten