Did someone test the new BBC plugin?

For talk and Help about everything concerning TV-Browser.
Jo
Site Admin

Re: Did someone test the new BBC plugin?

Beitrag von Jo »

Can you post the log from the start of TV-Browser until you updated the channel list in the settings?
Peter5

Beitrag von Peter5 »

Here's the log file. (Please also see the details in my earlier posts.)
Dateianhänge
tvbrowser.log
(21.43 KiB) 334-mal heruntergeladen
Jo
Site Admin

Beitrag von Jo »

Maybe there is a firewall preventing TV-Browser to access the files. Are Swedish and German channels are displayed properly?
Jo
Site Admin

Beitrag von Jo »

And is this really the complete log? In mine there are lines like
11:41:37 WARNUNG: iconUrl is not in cache for channelId series.canalplus.se. prevUrl=null. currentUrl=http://xmltv.tvsajten.com/chanlogos/ser ... lus.se.png

11:41:37 INFO: Downloading 'http://xmltv.tvsajten.com/chanlogos/ser ... lus.se.png' to '(xxx)\settings\tvdata\swedbtvdataservice.SweDBTvDataService\icons_SweDB\series_canalplus_se'

11:41:37 WARNUNG: channel series.canalplus.se: could not download icon from http://xmltv.tvsajten.com/chanlogos/ser ... lus.se.png
I can't find them in your log. It doesn't even seem to try to download these icons.
Peter5

Beitrag von Peter5 »

Thanks for your help on this. I found the extra lines do appear in the first logfile of the day but not when I run TV-Browser 2nd, 3rd time etc. I've attached the log file from the 1st time I ran it today.

I have been able to add German (Das Erste, ProSieben) and Swedish (SVT1, SVT2) channels and successfully get their program data. It seems that just the BBCDataService plugin is not adding channels.
Dateianhänge
1st run tvbrowser.log
(46.89 KiB) 331-mal heruntergeladen
Jo
Site Admin

Beitrag von Jo »

I don't have a clue why it doesn't work. Everything looks normal. You could perhaps try to reinstall TV-Browser.
Peter5

Beitrag von Peter5 »

I've tried reinstalling a few times and with different versions of Java. I also tried on a different laptop with a different version of Windows. Each time I had the same result.

Posts from other users above show other people also find the BBCDataService plugin is not working (for new installations).

Does anyone else have an idea of what may be wrong or what to try? (Is the plugin source code available?)

Otherwise, would someone be willing to create a new plugin for BBC data (especially radio programs which, oddly, aren't in 'Radio' Times).

Thanks.
Anon user

Beitrag von Anon user »

Found the solution:
You'll need to choose "All Categories" - NOT TV or Radio. Then you'll see the channels
Peter5

Beitrag von Peter5 »

Thank you for the suggestion but I’ve found this isn’t the cause of my problem and no channels are loaded by the BBC Data Service. This is a shame – I do hope this plugin can be made to work so radio channels can be added.
Jo
Site Admin

Beitrag von Jo »

Peter5 hat geschrieben: (Is the plugin source code available?)
Yes, sure, here for browsing and also on SF to download.
Peter5

Beitrag von Peter5 »

Thanks for this – I found it very helpful!

I've done some testing and have now got the plugin working. I found the
checkForAvailableChannels
method was failing after calling
getRegionChannels
at line 123 (of BBCDataService.java version 6858) so it didn't get to adding channels. This also explains why the  '..\bbcdataservice.BBCDataService\index' file was being left behind after updating channels as the method wasn't getting to the
file.delete()
command at line 137.

I found this was related to exceptions although I don't fully understand it. I found that removing
throws IOException, MalformedURLException
from
getRegionChannels
at line 256 and putting the contents of
getRegionChannels
(lines 259-301) within a
try {…} catch {..}
then made the plugin work correctly and the extra channels became available.

An extra, minor error was due to a line in http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/programmes/schedules with
<a href="/radio4/programmes/schedules/fm">View full schedule</a></p>
so instead of getting a channel called 'Radio 4 (FM)' I was getting 'Radio 4 (View full schedule)'.

To avoid this I replaced line 275
if ("Schedule".equalsIgnoreCase(regionName))
by
if ("Schedule".equalsIgnoreCase(regionName)||"View full schedule".equalsIgnoreCase(regionName))

I attach the amended BBCDataService.java file. I suggest TV-Browser developers make a corrected BBCDataService.jar file available. (I'm nervous about making available the one I created in case it causes other problems and can't be supported.)

I really like TV-Browser – thank you!
Dateianhänge
BBCDataService.java
(12.29 KiB) 335-mal heruntergeladen
Jo
Site Admin

Beitrag von Jo »

I (or someone else) do have to take a closer look at this, since the plugin works for me (and likely for others) and the workaround you have doesn't explain why. But if your solution works for you, it's a start :-).
Jo
Site Admin

Beitrag von Jo »

Peter5 hat geschrieben:I found this was related to exceptions although I don't fully understand it. I found that removing
throws IOException, MalformedURLException
from
getRegionChannels
at line 256 and putting the contents of
getRegionChannels
(lines 259-301) within a
try {…} catch {..}
then made the plugin work correctly and the extra channels became available.
But you must have missing regional channels then with you solution. Some of them at http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes when you click on the channels (besides "local radio"). Maybe you didn't realize it since you don't need the regional channel, but maybe it helps if you could find out which are missing at your installation. This must be those where the exception occurs.
Jo
Site Admin

Beitrag von Jo »

You were right. The website (Radio 7) changed and the plugin worked only for installations before that change and I didn't realize it. I will upload a new version with your changes.
Peter5

Beitrag von Peter5 »

Thanks for looking into this and uploading the new version.
Antworten