Small glitch in database update message

For talk and Help about everything concerning TV-Browser.
Antworten
NOPdat

Small glitch in database update message

Beitrag von NOPdat »

Hi,
there is a small irritation in the system message which appears, when the update of the TV database is done.
Currently it is [i]"The update of the tv-database is ready"[/i] This is very similar to messages of other programs, like "An update is ready to install", indicating that an action by the user is required.
It should better read "the update of the tv-database has finished", so the user sees, there is nothing more to do.
Yes, there are users who may get that message wrong, just look at one post further down, where somebody complains that when he opens TV-Browser and clicks a program entry, the selected TV program does not appear on the screen...
Gary

Re: Small glitch in database update message

Beitrag von Gary »

Well said, sir! You took the words right out of my mouth! I was just about to post a similar message, but then thought, "Surely, other native English-speakers here must have noticed the same thing", so I did a browser search for "update", which quickly found your message. The thing you quite rightly criticise bears the hallmarks of a German author. I live in Germany as a British expat and am well familiar with the "Denglisch" language. Here, they even write TV commercials (e.g. "Are you ON?") and songs in it ("Will you be there when the fire turns ardour?" was the first line of a no. 1 hit)! I once asked the producer of the latter to explain it to me. He hasn't spoken to me since...

Some Germans have actually made a lot of money with this highly creative, anarchistic language, oblivious of the fact that the rest of western Europe except France speaks far better (real) English, especially the Scandinavians, Dutch and Belgians. France traditionally objects to English being the official business language of the EU on principle and simply refuses to comply, already having a superior language which the rest of the world should bloody-well learn! In Germany, untypically, anything goes, as long as the individual words can be found in an English dictionary, at least the singular form of nouns, as the existance of "ladys" and "babys" is apparently undisputed. Germans usually try to be top of the class in everything they do, as they most certainly are in engineering and science, but in English, they are second bottom! The problem is... [b]THEY STILL HAVEN'T NOTICED![/b]

Entertaining viewing to broaden one's political horizon: any videos in "English" featuring Günther Oettinger, German EU commissioner for energy.
Entertaining listening to broaden one's musical horizon: any audio or video recordings of songs produced or written by the "world-famous" (according to the German media) Dieter Bohlen. Who? Exactly!

Happy viewing and/or listening,

Gary
ds10
Site Admin
Re: Small glitch in database update message

Beitrag von ds10 »

So you've come here just to insult all Germans because you think all Germans speak bad English because there are glitches in the TV-Browser translation, talk about generalization. So there is a/or are many wrong words in the translation of TV-Browser and that's it. I guess you also cannot speak German perfectly as most of the Germans too and I guess the most British/Americans are also not capable of speaking their own language as perfectly as you want the foreigners to speak your native language English. It really pisses me off if people think they speak the "world" language and now every other person on the world should bow down and learn English perfectly or better just forget their own language and instate English as the only language in the world.

So some Germans speak bad English, at least they can speak a bit of English, the British/Americans on the other hand can certainly speak even worse German if any. But guess what, I don't care as long as I'm able to understand other people, just get over with that not all people can speak YOUR LANGUAGE OF CHOICE with meeting your high expectations.

Just don't use TV-Browser if the bad English is not good enough for you.

And now feel free to point out all the errors I've made in my statement, that surely will make you feel superior to me because you speak better English (big thing as native), but if you do so you would clearly show that you have understand everything I said, even in my bad English.
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
Unterstütze die Weiterentwicklung von TV-Browser
Antworten