Location of Favorite data on Mac M1?

For talk and Help about everything concerning TV-Browser.
Antworten
JCD

Location of Favorite data on Mac M1?

Beitrag von JCD »

Hi there,
Migrating to a new Mac (Pro M1) from an older x86 model. I have a comprehensive list of "favorites" so would like to migrate this to the new Mac. However I could not find any export/import functionalities from "Manage favorites" (apart from send/import to third party plugins). I searched under ~/Library/Application\ Support/TV-Browser/ to copy the data manually but could not find the location where the favorites are stored.
Could someone tell me the location or alternatively a method to transfer these data from within TV-Browser?
Many thanks
ds10
Site Admin
Re: Location of Favorite data on Mac M1?

Beitrag von ds10 »

The easiest way to im- and export the preferences is to use the transportable version of TV-Browser. Just download it to the old Mac, extract and start it with the start script in the base directory. It will present an option to import the data and preferences. Copy the directory of TV-Browser transportable to the new Mac and start it again, in the Help menu should be an option to export all data and preferences to the system.
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
Unterstütze die Weiterentwicklung von TV-Browser
JCD

Beitrag von JCD »

Thanks ds10.

Tried the approach you have suggested but having issues starting the portable version. Probably a Java version issue (this one was ran on the x86, and the M1 has v18.0.2.1 - AFAIK the latest version available for Mac M1 on Monterey 12.5.1):

Unrecognized option: --module-path=lib:tvbrowser.jar
Error: Could not create the Java Virtual Machine.

Java version seems fine according to the script ./tvbrowser-transportable-mac.command

Suitable java version found [/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/bin/java = 1.8.0_331]
Configuring environment ... /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/bin
will use java from folder /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/bin
changed to program folder /Volumes/Xfer2/NEWMAC/TV-Browser/tvbrowser-transportable
Loading TV-Browser:
Command line is /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/bin/java -Xms16m -Xmx1G --module-path=\"lib:tvbrowser.jar\" -Dapple.laf.useScreenMenuBar=true -Dcom.apple.macos.use-file-dialog-packages=true -Dcom.apple.mrj.application.apple.menu.about.name=TV-Browser -Dcom.apple.smallTabs=true -Djava.library.path=\"${PROGRAM_DIR}\" --add-opens java.desktop/com.apple.eawt=tvbrowser -splash:imgs/splash.png -m tvbrowser/tvbrowser.TVBrowser \"$@\"
Unrecognized option: --module-path=lib:tvbrowser.jar
Error: Could not create the Java Virtual Machine.
Error: A fatal exception has occurred. Program will exit.
TV-Browser will terminate.

Incidentally, the file I was looking for is located under ~/Library/Preferences/TV-Browser/4.2.6/java.favoritesplugin.FavoritesPlugin.dat Copying this to the new Mac imported all my favourites.

TV-Browser is a nice program and I am appreciative of all the work that went into developing and maintaining it. Thanks for this. Would be good to get an "Export settings" and "Import settings" functionality that would not require the installation of the portable version though.
JCD

Beitrag von JCD »

I have just copied the data from Library/Application Support/TV-Browser/ and Library/Preferences/TV-Browser/4.2.6/ to the new Mac and all seems fine.
Thanks again for your assistance, I should have tried this in the first place.
ds10
Site Admin

Beitrag von ds10 »

Well the script seems to find the wrong Java. TV-Browser 4.2.6 needs at least Java 11. So it doesn't work if Java 8 is installed on the system.
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
Unterstütze die Weiterentwicklung von TV-Browser
Antworten