TV Browser still won't open

For talk and Help about everything concerning TV-Browser.
Antworten
Schalti

TV Browser still won't open

Beitrag von Schalti »

Well, been down this road before... TV Browser has for sometime refused to open. Tonight, after installing MAC OS 10.4.10 update, I attempted to open the TV Browser app. This time a new error message appeared:

java.lang.NullPointerException

A search of this error found the following:

Question
How do I help a customer understand what caused a java.lang.NullPointerException?

Answer
The Java runtime throws java.lang.NullPointerException when an application attempts to use a null value as if it were an object. The most likely cause is when the application attempts to invoke a method on an object that it believes has been instantiated, but that is, in fact, null. Applications developed in C or C++ (and other languages) would trap with a segmentation violation in this case, but the Java runtime detects the null object and throws java.lang.NullPointerException instead. Other reasons this exception might be raised include the following:
Accessing attributes (such as, instance variables) on the null object;
Attempting to use the null object as if it were an array;
Throwing a null object as if it were an instance of java.lang.Throwable.

Basically, any attempt to operate on an object that has not been instantiated will result in this exception.
When customers report a java.lang.NullPointerException you should ask them to send you the Java stack trace that shows the call stack up to the point where the exception was thrown. Following are the cases you're most likely to encounter:
If it was thrown while executing customer application code you should explain to them these typical reasons for why this exception occurs and ask them to review their application to ensure this verifies that objects have been instantiated before attempting to use them.
If the exception is thrown while executing in WebSphere code, then it still may be a bug in the customer's application and confirming that will involve determining if there is application code being executed higher in the call stack. It may be necessary to request the Java source to the customer's code that appears in the call stack before the exception.
If the exception is thrown while executing in WebSphere code then it may be a bug in WebSphere Application Server. If the problem can easily be repeated, you should ask the customer to enable tracing for the WebSphere class hierarchy from the call stack and then send the resulting trace and logs to the backend for further analysis. If the problem is difficult to recreate, then gather the existing WebSphere logs and a description of what the application was doing when the exception occurred.

Coding errors that might result in java.lang.NullPointerException include, but are not limited to the following:
Allocating a class variable but failing to instantiate it (such as, "new" it) before using it;
Passing null as an object parameter to a method.

Okay... I don't want to understand the error - I'd like the error to go away so I can use the TV Browser application.

Any suggestions from anyone who knows how TV Browser was built and can fix the problem.

Schalti in Berlin
ds10
Site Admin
Beitrag von ds10 »

Wich version did you try?
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
Unterstütze die Weiterentwicklung von TV-Browser
Gast

Beitrag von Gast »

ds10 hat geschrieben:Wich version did you try?
I am using the last Mac version that I again down loaded and installed - the version is dated March 23, 2007. Is there a newer version?

Schalti in Berlin
ds10
Site Admin
Beitrag von ds10 »

Anonymous hat geschrieben:Is there a newer version?
Yes there is a new BETA version, you get it here:
https://sourceforge.net/project/showfil ... _id=514764

It should work with that version.
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
Unterstütze die Weiterentwicklung von TV-Browser
Antworten